Tuesday, April 16, 2013

JoeSoGarden, Bloomfield Edition, in the Ground


I moved into a first floor apartment last Fall, and this will be my first Spring and Summer here. I'm the only one who uses the backyard -- the upstairs neighbors don't even have a back door, so it's all mine. There's a nice planter box on the left side along the fence. Until today it had a few weeds and about a dozen 2 year old onions scattered across one side. But I cleared that sucker out and started my Garden 2013, Bloomfield Edition!!

A week ago I went to Home Depot and bought several seedlings and seed packets:

  • 3 (4-packs) of broccoli (so, 12 plants)
  • a red pepper plant
  • a banana pepper plant
  • a cilantro plant
  • a basil plant
  • a tomato plant
  • cilantro seeds
  • broccoli seeds
  • carrot seeds
  • and a bunch of onions
So today I cleared out the planter box, plus this other triangular area that had these old, 2 foot tall, dead plants in it. The soil in the box seemed really nice. I planted the broccoli plants in 3 rows of 4. It should be hearty enough to withstand a frost. I also put in the cilantro plant -- maybe a little early, but I think it should be fine. Then I planted one row of carrot seeds. They're also hearty enough to survive a light frost. Getting the broccoli and carrots in this early miiight allow me to do a second harvest of each. 

When I used to do a garden on Beeler I would always end up with too much of one thing at the same time. All the tomatoes would be ready at once. I remember playing cucumber dodge with dozens of these fat round cukes. When I grew zuchini, I had like 3 dozen huge zuchini all at the same time. So I want to try and stagger things this time. Do less of each item, or half-and-half a month apart.  Also, for the broccoli and cilantro I got seeds in addition to the seedlings, so those will be separate crops if I end up doing both.
cleared out this planter box
broccoli, cilantro, carrot seeds ... planted April 16




2 kinds of broccoli plants
triangular section ... cleared out!
(tried to save these tulips I dug up from the box)
cilantro is in the ground ... maybe too early?
(plus an herb that was leftover ... see that? what is it?)
digital macro mode on camera for close up of cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment