Thursday, July 25, 2013

Garden Update: Carrots Ready to Harvest

What Up Doc
I planted a row of carrot seeds April 16 and they have really grown nicely. I harvested two last night at sunset and took pictures of the first one. They came out thick and hardy! Very impressive. I should definitely plant carrots again next year and in future gardens. One row of carrots didn't take up much space and you hardly need any space between each carrot -- they grow straight down. I think they would do well in a container (a deep one). I grew mine in one straight row across the middle of the planter box next to the broccoli on one side, and a row of red onions on the other.



I cooked the carrots last night with potatoes, onions, and my first tomatoes harvested from the garden! I chopped the carrots and potatoes and boiled them first for a few minutes with water, oil, and spices -- curry powder, hot paprika, some fresh basil and cilantro from the garden -- then added a decent amount of brown sugar, onions, garlic, and lots of chopped tomatoes from the garden. I let the water cook off some, but it stayed wet from all the tomatoes and a little oily. Then I made a bold move -- I add a big squirt of ranch dressing! It came out really well. The brown sugar was crucial and the ranch gave it a tangy creaminess. Tremendous. I called it Sweet Ranch Curry.








No comments:

Post a Comment