Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Decoupage Lack Table with National Geographic Collage

Attractive, practical finished product
I wanted to inject some color into my brown living room, so I took one of these cheap, classic Ikea Lack tables and decoupaged an orange color themed National Geographic collage. 

I coated it with a polyurethane finish to make it shiny and waterproof and use as a coffee table. I might still need to paint or do something with the legs to finish it off.

First I cut out images and pages from my Nat Geo magazines. I cut out all sorts of different pictures before deciding on this theme. I laid out the final design and then cut out enough yellow strips to use as a border and fill in any uncovered areas. 

In a bit of minor prep work, I used my multitool to sand the table. Then I used Modpodge decoupage glue and foam brushes to apply the collage. First I did strips of yellow along the top and bottom edges, so they would show through as a "Nat Geo yellow" color base beneath the images I applied over top. I also applied the yellow strips underneath where there would be frayed edges or gaps between the main collage images.

Next I did the bulk of the decoupage work, applying the main images on the top and sides of the table. I ended up getting a lot of air bubbles underneath my paper, which kind of sucks. Nevertheless I think it turned out well. I coated it first with a polycrylic (water soluble) finish, but that wouldn't work well with drinking glasses and other every day usage. I wanted a shiny, sort of thick, protective coat. So I lightly sanded it and used a polyurethane finish, which worked perfectly. 

As you can see, this room needs a pop of color!
Started with a standard, cheap Ikea table
The tabletop did not start in great condition.
Orange themed collage -- segmented using National Geographic yellow border style
Patterns or repetitions themed the sides of the table.

Butterflies match the middle tabletop segment
The antlers silhouette echoes the same graphical theme
as the branches on the tabletop above.
The flash dulls the color a bit in this picture.
A view from what I consider the "other side"
the alternate "bottom side"
I consider this view the "right side up" perspective --
with the antlers/trees side as the bottom.

2 comments: