Thursday, May 23, 2013

New Batch of Candles!

I started working on a new batch of candles. I think my skills have reached the point where I can start giving them as gifts. I made an orange martini glass soy wax candle that came out really nice -- thanks Caitlinn! 

I made two lavender colored candles -- one with lavender oil for the scent and one with a lilac scent block. I made the lilac in a round, 4 inch wide glass candle jar and the lavender one in a 16 ounce mason jar. I think I will give the lavender candle to Silay-Sylanski as a baby congratulations gift. (EDIT: I ended up making a new one the next week, still lavender scented, for the baby (Lily), with an "L" bead on the bottom. This 'candle/lavender ' has come to be known as the 'calender.

I tried using a bead in the martini glass candle -- Cait's idea -- and that worked well. I put a wick in a mason jar with a C for the Corbetts. And then the wide lilac candle, which has a double wick, I might give to Jessica and Reed for getting married / buying a house. I used an "F" and an "M" since I know Reed from way back at WRCT 88.3fm Pittsburgh

beautiful pour, double wick
I made the wicks from my new beeline spool -- organic hemp wick dipped in beeswax. For the mason jars I actually tripled it -- I used three lengths of wick all twisted around itself. I think that will produce a nice, large flame and good burn. It might burn fast, but I think it will help produce a strong aroma. Maybe I should test one before giving them away. For the wider candle I doubled the wick and used two of them. That should make a nice pool in the middle, but I don't know if the flame will reach the sides and melt all the wax. We'll see. Unless I give them away, then I won't see. I will have to request pictures.

I melted the soy wax in a melting pot sitting in another pot with a little bit of hot/boiling water. Once it hit about 180 degrees, I added the dye and removed it from the heat. I let it cool to about 160 before adding the scent (or even lower if using liquid). Then I let it cool further to about 135 before pouring. The mason jar  and the martini glass required topping off while the wider candle filled perfectly with one pour.















No comments:

Post a Comment