Sunday, June 15, 2014

Broccoli Gettin Worked!

Hooray for broccoli! It did take me by surprise how quickly these plants bloomed this year. But over the last couple weeks I've cooked two large heads, given away 3 that got put to good use, and still have a couple of the OG heads wrapped up in the fridge. A little plastic wrap goes a long way, I must say! 
I harvested 2 epic heads this round. I grilled one with my recipe from last year, and the other went into my friend's broccoli aloo recipe. Both came out really well! I hear another went into a classic beans and greens dish, and I'll inquire about the third... Oh I almost forgot! I made capellini and boiled some of the broccoli florets with it, and then made a pesto type sauce with oregano and cilantro from the garden. Killer!!! 
They tell me to expect fresh eggs and homemade bread in return. Woot. I can't wait to bake an eggs and toast breakfast with locally produced food acquired via veggie swapping. Werd to the Herb. 
I like grabbing a tomato or some basil from the garden occasionally, but I really love when I can put together nearly a full meal with homegrown or swapped ingredients. Yay Summer! Now I just need a few chickens and maybe a cow...


No comments:

Post a Comment