Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Family Style Mac and Cheese

I love macaroni and cheese -- and pork chops. And I really like when the mac n cheese incorporates some tomato or tomato sauce. Friday night I made tomato sauce, and I had a couple of servings with pasta, but I was wondering what else to do with the leftover sauce.  So I decided to add it to some mac and cheese!  I figured I'd grab some pork chops as well.... 

I've heard this style of mac and cheese referred to as "family style" before, so that's what I'll call it.  Here's what I used today:
  • 16 oz cooked pasta (today I used orecchiette)
  • shredded cheese, today I used:
  • 7 oz TJ's unexpected cheddar 
  • 12 oz TJ's raw milk cheddar
  • 4 oz goat cheese
  • pork chops (I used 3 boneless -- dipped, breaded, and browned)
  • tomato sauce (I only had about 8 ounces today)
  • bread crumbs on top

breaded and browned, not cooked
  1. First I dipped the pork chops in milk/egg mixture.
  2. Then I rolled them in a breading mixture.
  3. Brown in butter for a few minutes.
  4. Cook the pasta.
  5. Add all (pasta, pork chops, cheese, tomato sauce) to a deep dish.
  6. Top with bread crumb mixture.
  7. Bake for an hour at 350.
Mmm, I am eating this right now.  The flavor is great.  The breading did not stick to the pork chops, though.  I shouldn't have mixed in any bread crumbs -- just stick with a flour mix. The pork chops are also kind of dry.  But when I baked it at 350 for an hour they weren't done.  So I added another 15 minutes at 400.  But maybe if I had just let it sit they would have cooked through.  Hmmm. It could have used less pasta or more cheese. Or a creamier cheese -- like a mozzarella.

It was hot and bubbly when it came out

Next time try:
  • just flour mixture on pork chops, not bread crumbs -- too soggy
  • Bake a little longer
  • More cheese, try mozzarella

3 comments:

  1. I should add some breadcrumbs throughout, not just on top, to absorb some of the grease from the cheese, and just give it another scrumptious texture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this again over the holidays for my Mom and Dad. They really liked it. No pork chops, though, just the mac and cheese. I had my homemade sauce leftover again, which really sets it off! I also used some mozzarella this time, which was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this again for Thankspatrick's Day V at the Corbett's house. I made sauce Friday night at like midnight, which was fun, and just put the mac-and-cheese together this morning (Saturday morning). I used just under a full pound of pasta (shells, which will be great I think); 32 ounces of cheese (16 mozzarella, 8 cheddar, 8 monterrey jack).

    Oh shit I just realized I did not take the bay leaf out of the sauce!!! Someone's gonna be eating leaf today.

    ReplyDelete